Learn to grow your own delicious food at home!
Learn to grow your own delicious fruit and vegetables at home with this 20 hour short course. In a weekend, you can learn all that you will need to know about the types of fruit and vegetables you should grow and the best ways to grow them.
If you have always wanted to start your own veggie patch, why wait? Everything you need to know is in this self-paced course.
This short course will help you decide what you can grow, how to be successful in growing food, an overview of the many types of fruits and vegetables you could grow and even includes a section on nuts, mushrooms and using your lovely fresh produce.
What you produce from your garden will depend on the amount of space that you have. Obviously the larger the property the more potential you will have to produce a large variety of crops. Large properties can support a range of fruit trees, vines, vegetables, herbs, grains and even hay and straw as well as animals and chickens.
There are optional activities and tasks that you can complete along the way that can expand your knowledge in this area. At the end of each lesson you will need to complete an online self assessment test. The course will also conclude with a large comprehensive online exam. If you achieve a mark over 60% for the exam, you will be awarded a Certificate of Completion with your name on it.
This course covers 14 lessons:
Lesson 1 Food from the garden
What can you produce in your garden?
Lesson 2 Deciding what to grow
Lesson 3 Successful growing
Cold and the garden
Different growing methods
Where to get helpful information
Lesson 4 Fruits
Introduction - fruit trees for all climates
How to develop an espalier on a wall
Good backyard fruit trees for a range of climates
Lesson 5 Deciduous fruit trees
Winter chilling requirements
Pests and diseases
Deciduous fruit encyclopaedia
Bare-rooted fruit trees
Pruning deciduous fruit trees
Lesson 6 Citrus fruits
Tolerance to different climates
How to grow healthy citrus
Lesson 7 – Tropical fruits
What fruits when
Lesson 8 – Berries
Lesson 9 – Nuts
Introduction to nut growing
Commonly grown nuts
Lesson 10 – Vine crops
Lesson 11 – Using produce
What to do with excess fruit
Lesson 12 Vegetables
Why grow vegetables?
Choosing what to grow
Feeding and watering
Planning the cropping programme
Pests and diseases of vegetables
Lesson 13 Mushrooms
Four easy steps to growing mushrooms
Lesson 14 Special growing techniques
Growing produce in containers
More special growing techniques
- Enrol any time of day or night
- Start studying immediately or later (as you wish)
- Configure your study sessions at any length and frequency you wish
- Work through at your own pace
- Help desk- contact our help desk here with the subject title: 'Help Desk Short Course'
- Automated self assessment tests pop up at the end of each lesson. You can attempt these as many times as you wish; and each time, upon completion, you can see your results.
- At the end of the whole course, you are presented with a major automated examination which can be attempted online, anywhere, anytime
- If you achieve a 60% pass in the exam; you immediately receive a downloadable certificate of completion with your name on it
SAMPLE COURSE PAGES