Improve your grammar skills.
Get better at writing and communication.
We all use language in some form and we combine words to effectively communicate with others, both in the written and spoken forms. This course will help to improve the way you communicate in English, by strengthening your grammar and punctuation and introducing you to concepts of style and purpose; how your writing can and should change to ensure your meaning is clear in any context.
We rely on punctuation and grammar to enhance the way that our words are received by others and to reduce misunderstandings.
Grammar provides a coherent structure for the expression of thoughts and ideas. By following grammatical rules, we are able to compile logical sentences that make sense to the receiver. Punctuation is used to create sense within the correct grammar, indicating such things as start and end of sentences, spaces, groupings, questions and so on.
This course can help English speakers to improve their grammar, punctuation and control of language elements, particularly in written communication. For speakers of English as a second language, it will help to clarify some of the rules to follow in both written and spoken language.
Lesson 1 Introduction - The Components of Language
Root Words, Prefixes and Suffixes, and Clauses
Lesson 2 Types of Words
Pronouns, Adjectives and Adverbs, with rules and examples
Lesson 3 Punctuation
Commas, Colons, Semi colons, Quotation marks and more
Lesson 4 Upper and Lower Case, Abbreviations, Numbers, Bullet points
Rules and Guidelines for their use.
Lesson 5 Using Words Together
Clauses and Phrases
Sentence types and construction
Writing clearly and appropriately in different contexts (books, periodicals, online etc)
Language styles- persuasive, imaginative, formal, colloquial and more.
Language for purpose - narratives, recounts, expositions, reports and more.
- Enrol any time of day or night.
- Start studying immediately or later (as you wish).
- Configure your study sessions at any length and frequency you wish.
- Work through at your own pace.
- Help desk- contact our help desk here with the subject title: 'Help Desk Short Course'.
- Automated self assessment tests pop up at the end of each lesson. You can attempt these as many times as you wish; and each time, upon completion, you can see your results. You will need internet access to complete the self assessment tests.
- At the end of the whole course, you are presented with a major automated examination which can be attempted online, anywhere, anytime.
- If you achieve a 60% pass in the exam, you immediately receive a downloadable certificate of completion with your name on it.
Support along the Way from Experts
You have access to expert
tutors through our student help desk all the time you are studying this
course. Our school maintains help desks in both of our offices -in
Australia and the UK; and has staff on duty five days a week manning
phones, online chat and emails. Any questions that you have about what
you are studying will be dealt with promptly (usually the same working
day, often immediately).
If there is something you read or research that you don't understand, ask for help.
If you want to learn more about something you encounter through these
studies, have a conversation with one of our faculty tutors
If you need direction to find more information, ask
If you need advice on moving forward with your work, career or studies
after the course ask. (Free career and business advice).
SAMPLE PAGES FROM THE COURSE