LEARN TO PRUNE PLANTS
Understand How Plant Growth and Pruning are linked.
Become a "Certified Pruner"
Pruning is one of the fundamental skills needed by gardeners and
horticulturalists. However, it is much more involved than merely cutting
off plant growth. There are many different reasons to prune, and there
are many different ways to go about pruning.
What to prune, when to prune, how to prune and why we prune - all these questions can be answered through this short course. For the professional horticulturist to the home gardener, understanding the science and technique of pruning will allow you to support and enhance the growth of plants and improve fruit and flower production.
This short course provides instruction on how to prune range of ornamental
plants as well as important species like fruits and roses. Students
will learn how to assess the pruning needs of plants and learn about
good pruning practices. Furthermore, you’ll learn how to encourage
fruiting and flowering, how to create topiary and espaliers, and how to
make bonsai. Upon completion you will feel confident in your knowledge
of how and when to prune all sorts of plants.
There are nine lessons as follows:
LESSON 1 INTRODUCTION
LESSON 2 TYPES OF PRUNING
LESSON 3 PRUNING TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT
LESSON 4 PRUNING HEDGES
LESSON 5 SHAPING PLANTS
LESSON 6 MANAGING PRUNINGS
LESSON 7 PRUNING FOR FRUIT PRODUCTION
LESSON 8 PRUNING ROSES
LESSON 9 COMPENDIUM OF PLANTS: HOW TO PRUNE WHAT AND WHEN
Pruning is a skill that every gardener needs to master - from home gardener to tradesman to professional.
Who is this Course intended for?
- Home gardeners who want to do a lot better in their gardens
- Anyone starting up or wanting to expand the range of services
offered in a garden business (eg. A lawn mowing business, seeking to
offer an expanded service. When mowing work declines in winter, you can
have another source of income, pruning roses and fruit trees)
- Anyone seeking employment as a gardener. This course can give
you knowledge and skill that sets you apart and gives an employer a
reason to consider you above other applicants
- Garden managers seeking to train their staff
- Gardeners, nurserymen, landscapers or horticulturists wanting to fill in a gap in their skills set.
Support along the Way from Experts
You have access to expert tutors through our student help desk all the time you are studying this course. Our school maintains help desks in both of our offices -in Australia and the UK; and has staff on duty five days a week manning phones, online chat and emails. Any questions that you have about what you are studying will be dealt with promptly (usually the same working day, often immediately).
- If there is something you read or research that you don't understand, ask for help.
- If you want to learn more about something you encounter through these studies, have a conversation with one of our faculty tutors
- If you need direction to find more information, ask
- If you need advice on moving forward with your work, career or studies after the course ask. (Free career and business advice is part of the service provided to all of our graduates).
SAMPLE PAGES FROM THIS COURSE